Search This Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Miscellaneous Memory Dumps

Here's one from Davey Dobson...
-----------------------
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 11:52   AM
 Subject: A newly discovered  memory


My memory was jarred into remembering something  last night that  I had
forgotten, here's how it goes:

Nick  St. Nicholas, Bass player  of Steppenwolf band and others was born  in
Germany but raised in  Canada.

Many years ago in the  middle 60's (Between marriages) I used to  go out with
a girl  called Maren Kassbaum. Maren was a German beauty, blue  eyes,  blonde
hair and a shape even Hitler would kill for. She was a pianist   and played
for the National Ballet school and the Royal  Conservatory of  music.

The part that I had forgotten was that  one of her brothers  was
Klaus Karl Kassbaum who later became Nick  St Nicholas of  Steppenwolf..

Added details:
I met her  parents often and her father,  who was a German U boat  commander
during WW2, was the nicest chap that one  would ever  meet.

Another memory recovered from the scrap   heap

Dave D.

5 comments:

  1. That is so cool, Dave. Thanks for sharing. The next time I see you, I will be in awe.
    - Russ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got the news of Carol Norwood's passing and felt the need to not let this go by unnoticed. I knew Carol from Earl Haig and Willowdale restaurant days. We lost touch as it often happens then I reconnected with her about 7/8 years ago. Carol Had a rather unhappy first marriage and was left with two daughters to bring up alone. She got further education and was able to get a good job while bringing up her girls. We talked of her difficulties doing this and I was in awe of her role as a mother, worker and provider. I used to call her " A Surviver". Over 34 years ago she met Rod and has lived a happy life since. We often talked on the phone and and via email always leaving me impressed with her serenity and her quiet chuckle. Good bye Carol. DD

    ReplyDelete
  3. A recent message from John Dowson about hurricane Hazel in 1954 brought back memories of that night.It started out as a rainy friday night and a few of us gathering at the good old Willowdale Restaurant deciding what to do on such a miserable evening. It was decided that we would head up to the Army and Navy legion, a white stucco place just south of Steeles.
    It had a rear room called the television room that was always kept in the dark for TV viewing. The trick was, being way underage. to slip into the back room and then get one of the men in there to go to a different room where the bar was and purchase a beer for you while getting one for himself. As the evening progressed the room began to fill up with water as the entire floor was really below the level of Yonge. We continued with our illicit drinking and at one point the water was up to our kneecaps but nobody, including other patrons, left the legion. It was not until the next day that I discovered the devastating effect that the hurricane had brought.
    Incidently for many many years I drink very seldom and sparsly

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilde
      That is amazing that Maren is your neighbour. I wonder if Dave D would like to look her up. BTW, I still have 4 Winnie The Pooh books.

      Delete

We welcome your comments