Search This Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Richard James


Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:14 PM
Subject: Re: Richard James

Howdy Patrick
 
Sad news indeed. He was such a vibrant guy in his day. His hair containted more oil than Johnny Ryan's 52 Ford Hardtop. 
 
I remember our great treks to the Glendale looking for girls. James always believed that if we met girls during a horror film they would look to us for protection. It is something I never believed and I was right.
 
The guy with glasses was probably Danny Sage - but may have been Q Ball (Paul Andrews). He disliked both and in particular, Danny Sage, Ralph's younger brother.
 
I'd love to get Nancy's phone number if you have it. I'd give her a call.
 
It would be good if you could stop in and visit with him.
 
Keep me posted
 
- Richard
 
Russ - Richard James lived on the second block - north side of Byng Avenue - next door to Rond Drury and just down from Bob Falconer - he worked his entire life with McLean's publishing (McLeand's Mag) - except for a season at the Womans' Golf Course in Thronhill
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2010 4:05 PM
Subject: Richard James

Hi Richard:  Nancy, Richard's wife, phoned this afternoon. Says Richard is in Bradford Valley Nursing Home, Bradford, as of a couple weeks ago. He has gone downhill very rapidly with Alzheimer's. She said some days he is completely prostrate,nothing works, the next he is still able to walk. She also said he talks a lot about Folkes and Dowson, so I guess we are still in his long term memory. This is what prompted her to phone me. Sounds like she is having a terrible time, sold their house and took a three-bedroom apartment in Bradford with the view that Richard would be able to stay with her. But his decline has been so precipitous that that didn't happen. He still recognizes her and the one daughter who lives not far away. I got the impression that he may not be around that much longer. Nancy mentioned that Richard keeps talking about somebody who wore glasses and that he hates his guts. She asked me who I thought this might be, but I said I couldn't recall anybody of the old Willowdale crowd who fit this description. Maybe it was an old teacher or somebody at work.  Anyway, this is such gloomy Christmas time news. Alzherimer's is such awful shit.   I' m thinking that if the weather is agreeable I may go down and see Richard. Haven't seen him in the flesh since 1964 or '65.   What a bummer it all is!!
- Patrick Folkes

2 comments:

  1. Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 9:56 AM

    Subject: RE: Richard James


    Rich and everyone.

    I am sorry for the loss of your friend. Please send my condolences to his family. My memories are few of him but they are fun. He was one of those young tough teen agers who in 1958 later in the year road us younger boys on his back during the piggy back fights in the backyard of 68 Parkview. Specifically I remember you, Jamsey as we called him and the other fellow ( name slips my mind but I can see his face) lived on Kenneth at McKee. Ronny Bernell? There were many of those fights. Crashing to ground after pulling on eachother with the laughter then to face the next year with no more piggy back fights. You went out west and us little kids grew up a little more.

    I remember Jamesy's red jacket and wavy black hair. Looked like a rock and roll celebrity he did. Rich..in your stash of old slides there is a picture of him with his red jacket. Nice shot too. The early morning before the Wicker was off to ride West on a horse you look a lot of photos. It seemed the whole neighbourhood was on our front lawn with someone wearing Wickers saddle and the kids ridding his back.
    Pat is in those photos as well. He was the first person I ever saw who wore low slung blues jeans.
    See if you can locate those photos especially the one of Jamsey...get them scanned and onto CD. Would be nice for all of us who knew him. Especially for his family.

    Take care. Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 12:11 AM
    Subject: Re: Richard James


    Hi all
    So sorry to hear about the passing of Richard James. I did not know him but can relate to your description of him, as being a true blue Willowdale guy. I suppose it's a blessing his illness did not last any longer than it did. This disease is hellish for the family. Unfortunately, I have first-hand experiences.
    - Russ

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments